*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
Does anyone else find the kitchen one of the most expensive places in the house?
With the cost of food and the cost of kitchen appliances and gadgets I find the kitchen in our home one of the most expensive places. Think about how much is your monthly grocery budget? Now scan the counter or the cupboards how much did all those small appliances cost? Now think about how much time you spend in the kitchen.
The kitchen is the heart of the home.
You prepare meals there, you cook and eat there. You prepare and gather for the week ahead in the kitchen. Family meals, cup and conversation. Lives are conversed over food or beverages in the kitchen.
Children and adults know that food, nourishment and love come from the kitchen. In our house Mom is either in the kitchen, the laundry room or the office. Notice the kitchen is the first on the list – that is where the coffee supply is :).
How do you save money in the kitchen?
Think about your kitchen. What do you spend the most time and money on in your kitchen? Our kitchen is the epicenter to our open concept home. If I had to pick two of the top expenses relating to our kitchen it would be groceries and stuff. Stuff being small appliances, lunch preparation items, cell phones (our cellphone dock is in the kitchen) and other gadgets that keep our home and kitchen running.
Now that you have pin pointed where you spend the most time and money in the kitchen it is now time to save money. How do you cut back, live well with less but still keep a happy kitchen and happy home?
10 Simple Ways To Save Money In The Kitchen:
1. Us a meal plan. Write down what you are cooking for dinner so you have it ready and so everyone else knows what you are cooking. Meal Planning will save you money in groceries and it will add variety to your weekly meals.
2. Set a budget. Set a grocery budget and stick to it. Set a budget for your small appliances, your cell phone usage. Set a budget for everything based out of your kitchen and you will see a decrease or balance of funds used.
3. Stop buying stuff that you aren’t using or wasting. Stuff adds up. Wasted food adds up. All this adding up is money you could could be saving.
4. Purchase items that will save you money. My current favorite is my husband’s oven lunch box. This thing rocks! I can send soups or stews and leftovers and he can have a hot lunch on the go. I was buying sandwich supplies and deli meats and they were going to waste because he wasn’t eating them. As soon as I bought this oven lunch box my husband was eating yummy warm soups and leftovers. Happy husband, happy wife. Money saved.
5. Cooking at home, making meals as a family. Utilizing the supplies you have. This will save you so much money. Skip the take out and create yummy meals together. Make great memories together in the kitchen.
6. Be frugal with your grocery shopping. Clip coupons, shop sales, don’t be brand specific. Shop from a grocery list and avoid the add ons while grocery shopping.
7. The kitchen is a great source of energy; people energy and utility energy. Whether your kitchen runs on electricity or gas there are ways to save money. Turn the lights off, unplug the appliances not being used. Cook things on lower heat settings. Use low energy, energy saving appliances. Ensure that all your appliances and gas are running appropriately. If you question this contact your energy supply company for money saving options.
8. Kitchen stuff adds up. If you are needing new dishes, small appliances, serving supplies or other kitchen supplies try shopping the thrift store or vintage location first. Big box stores also sell kitchen supplies cheaper than specialty stores. Try to save money on your kitchen supplies.
9. Save yourself money during the day by being proactive in the kitchen. Pack your lunch, bring your coffee from home and save yourself money throughout the day. We love our take along coffee mugs and portable lunch containers.
10. Shut it down, turn it off, put the phone down, turn off the computer and enjoy family time. This will save you money and create valuable family memories. Today people take their phones every where, they are on them constantly. Ours are stored on a dock in the kitchen. Think about all the data fees and app fees and the regular phone bills. Could you go a day or half a day without your cellphone or the apps? Could you cancel the landline telephone? Think of the money you will save.
These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to saving money in the kitchen. You know where you spend you money. You know what costs you the most in running your home. What can you cut back on, what can you live without. Have you tried a No Spend Weekend? Think of all the ways you can save in the kitchen and within your home. Try to live more frugally, living well with less.
Have an amazing day.
Saving & Simplicity
Are you looking to save money? Checkout these money saving resources:
Are you looking to get your finances under control and learn how to budget? You can get our free budgeting printable here. Another great resource for budgeting and learning all the ins and outs of personal finance is The Total Money Makeover. This book changed our personal finances for the better and is a must read.
If you have read my blog before you have heard me talk about MyFreezEasy meal plans and how much I love them. You have also heard me talk about all the time and money meal planning saves me. I use to choose take out or drive thru coffee or dinner at a restaurant after a long hard day. Learning to meal plan effectively helped curb that habit and now we are enjoying yummy homemade meals that our family love.
Is your grocery budget stressing you out? Are you trying to figure out how to feed our family healthy meals while you watch the price of groceries rise? You are not alone.
The Grocery Budget Workshop taught me how to save money at the grocery store. It taught me how to cook efficiently, manage a grocery budget, shop sales and coupon quickly. It also taught me how to save over $700 a month on items our family really didn’t need.
Are you ready to earn money while you shop? Yes, I said earn money while you shop. Have you heard of Ibotta? Earn cash back on everyday purchases. Simple select the items you will be shopping for in your easy handheld app, go shopping, redeem your rebates and earn cash. Simple and easy.