Lowering Your Grocery Budget
Is easier than you think. I have got some amazing ways for you to save money at the grocery store and they are all real easy to do.
What is the one thing that you think costs you the most money at the grocery store? In our house it is anything that has to be bought due to allergies. Gluten free foods are right up there in the costs too much column. Learn what we stopped buying to save money.
How To Budget Groceries
Make sure to include groceries in your monthly budget. Setting aside cash in your cash envelope system for food. Grocery budget amounts will vary from family to family.
Grocery Costs For A Family Of Four
An average family of four can spend $600 a month on groceries, paper products and toiletries. This can run more or less depending on area, dietary restrictions and food costs.
Did you know the grocery store plans for you to spend more money than you need to? Ever wonder why the fresh flowers are placed at the front of the store or why the bakery is just beyond what you need?
Secret Ways The Grocery Store Makes You Pay More:
1. Sales that aren’t really sales
Marking up items then placing them on sale or advertising the item as being on sale and enticing you to buy it when really it is just regular price.
2. Department placement
Placing the bakery, the deli and the dairy departments at the back of the store. Causing you to pass all sorts of items on your way to get milk or bread or dinner meat.
3. Case lot sales, bulk buy sales
Are you really going to use that 1 gallon container of mustard? The store doesn’t know but they will promote it so you think you will.
4. End caps, hanging displays, eye level shelving
The grocery store places yummy looking, must have items on end caps and at eye level hoping you will buy.
5. Item placement
Does a cookie display really belong in the milk department? It does if it prompts you to buy cookies to have with your milk.
How To Save Money On Groceries
And start saving money. You can lower your grocery bill by a quarter if not a half if you shop with a plan and learn a few great money saving tips.
Tips For Saving Money On Groceries
If you are wanting to save money on groceries start with what’s in your cart. Meat, processed foods and precut produce are some of the more expensive grocery items.
Choose cheaper cuts of meat and use your slow cooker. Buy fresh or frozen produce and prepare yourself.
Shop store sales, use money saving apps, cut coupons, buy generic goods and don’t be afraid to shop discount retailers
Lower Your Grocery Costs
If you’re looking to learn more about saving money on your grocery budget checkout the grocery budget workshop. In fact they run a great free workshop to help you get started. Plus checkout the 10 tips below on helping you lower your grocery costs.
10 Ways To Lower Your Grocery Costs:
- Always shop with a grocery list, your grocery budget, cash envelope and a plan.
- Checkout the store flyers, the store sales and coupon offers before you go shopping.
- Meal plan your meals and shop according to the foods you will need.
- Avoid the store marketing tactics we spoke about above.
- Stockpile sale items. Bulk buying items you know you are going to use is a great way to save money.
- Try cooking meatless meals once or twice a week. Add a beans and rice meal into your meal plan to save money.
- Cook from scratch and avoid the processed foods. Bake your own breakfast muffins and pastries and avoid added costs.
- Buy cheaper meat cuts and use a slow cooker to tenderize the meat and create yummy meals.
- Shop multiple stores. Each store has a different deal on items, some may offer great produce prices others may offer great meat prices. Shop around. (This is my favorite grocery budget money saving tip.)
- Don’t be brand specific. I know we all love our brands, but you can save money buying generic or purchasing the brand on sale.
Saving Money With Meal Planning
I love to meal plan. I know it sounds corny but I love meal planning I love knowing what’s for dinner before the day starts. I know by mid day the boys in the house will ask what’s for dinner and 98% of the time I will have an answer for them.
Meal planning helps me save money by having all the right ingredients in the house. I am not wasting money buying foods that won’t be eaten or go to waste sitting in the fridge.
How To Spend Less On Groceries
I also save money by shopping around a few different stores where I know the prices are cheaper. I bulk buy the items I know we use on a regular basis. Like when toilet paper goes on sale 75% off.
Baking To Save Money
I have also gotten into the habit of cooking and baking more which cuts down on the costs of to go meals in our house.
Grocery Budget Planning
We have found some great breakfast to go recipes we like and cooking from scratch isn’t that hard even with food allergies. You just need to plan and make time.
Ways To Cut Your Grocery Costs
To learn more about ways to cut your grocery costs checkout the Grocery Budget Workshop.
Related Frugal Food Posts:
Updated May 10, 2021