When you live in a world where macaroni and cheese is cheaper than a bag of carrots and a dozen eggs. Eating healthy can be hard. Where we live a box of macaroni and cheese will cost you approximately $2. A dozen eggs is about $4.99 and a bag or carrots is $2.99.
Honestly, as a mom and someone who is trying to eat healthier and provide a better meal plan for her family there is something wrong with this pricing.
When junk food, artificial foods, prepared foods are cheaper than the “real” ingredients in foods you do have to wonder.
How do you eat healthy in a sideways junk food priced economy? Do your research. Shop local. Grow your own and invest in meals that work for your family.
Saving Money On Meals
Vegetarian meals are a great way to save money when you want to eat healthy. Skipping the meat helps you save money as well.
Prices are different from retailer to retailer, brand to brand. Locally we have found that shopping at the local ethnic grocery stores provides a large savings on vegetables, spices, meat alternatives and some meat cuts.
Costs Of Food
Please remember that every town and area is different. The cost of goods in one area may be widely different to the next. Also the availability of healthy foods may vary from area to area from season to season.
What is the definition of eating healthy? Honestly, my definition may be different to yours and that is okay. When I say eating healthy I mean eating more vegetables, fruits, fats and proteins. Skipping out on the junk and limiting the high starch and high sugar carbs.
In our house we have dairy allergies and Celiac disease so this plays a big part in the foods we eat and don’t eat. Nut milks in our area cost about $4 a half a gallon.
Ways To Save Money On Groceries
Given the prices I have mentioned and a family full of boys you can see why I am looking for ways to save money on groceries.
10 Ways To Save Money When Eating Healthy:
- Stockpile different varieties of beans, rice and staple pantry items
- Shop the store sales, discount retailers and bulk buys
- Try a vegetarian meal plan
- Mix it up and try new cost effective recipes
- Invest in your local CSA boxes to save on produce
- Learn what you can freeze to save money
- Try purchasing cheaper cuts of meat and marinating, or slow cooking
- Skip the cut, pre-washed, sliced, pretty packaged produce and opt for the real deal
- Use Rakuten to save money while you shop
- Cook your meals at home, get the family involved
Ways To Save Money While Eating Healthy
Like I said before prices can vary, style of meals can vary, dietary needs can vary. Do what works for your family, your needs.
If skipping out on the pasta sides and adding in quinoa is financially viable for you and it helps with your overall healthy eating goals. Than do it.
Eat Your Vegetables
In our house, universally getting the boys to eat more vegetables and less meat is the goal. Yes, I know I may be drawing at straws but a Mom can hope right.
Simple changes, can mean positive health and positive money saving outcomes.
- 35 Cheap & Easy Slow Cooker Meals
- 30+ Easy Charcuterie Boards
- 50 Best Salad Recipes
- 21 Overnight Oats Recipes
- 30+ Mason Jar Meals
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes
- Best Instant Pot Recipes
Related Money Saving Posts:
- Frugal Ways To Stretch Your Grocery Budget
- Secret Must Haves Of A Frugal Home
- 75 Items You Can Freeze To Save Money
- 21 Things We Stopped Buying To Save Money
Updated May 23, 2021