*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
When you live in a world where macaroni and cheese is cheaper than a bag of carrots and a dozen eggs!
Where we live a box of macaroni and cheese will cost you approximately $2. A dozen eggs is about $4.99 and a bag or carrots is $2.99.
Honestly, as a mom and someone who is trying to eat healthier and provide a better meal plan for her family there is something wrong with this pricing.
When junk food, artificial foods, prepared foods are cheaper than the “real” ingredients in foods you do have to wonder.
So in this lopsided priced economy how is one to eat healthy and save money?
Do your research. Shop local. Grow your own and invest in meals that work for your family.
Vegetarian meals are a great way to save money when you want to eat healthy. Skipping the meat helps you save as well.
We have also found that shopping at our local ethnic grocery stores provides a large savings on vegetables, spices, meat alternatives and some meat cuts.
Please remember that every town and area is different. The cost of goods in one area may be widely different to the next. Also the availability of healthy foods may vary from area to area from season to season.
So what am I meaning when I say eating healthy.
Honestly, my definition may be different to yours and that is okay. When I say eating healthy I mean eating more vegetables, fruits, fats and proteins. Skipping out on the junk and limiting the high starch and high sugar carbs.
In our house we have dairy allergies and Celiac disease so this plays a part in the foods we eat and don’t eat. Nut milks in our area cost about $4 a half a gallon.
Given the prices I have mentioned and a family full of boys you can see why I am looking for ways to save money on groceries.
10 ways to save money when eating healthy:
- Stockpile different varieties of beans, rice and staple pantry items
- Shop the store sales, discount retailers and bulk buys
- Try a vegetarian meal plan
- Mix it up and try new cost effective recipes
- Invest in your local CSA boxes to save on produce
- Learn what you can freeze to save money
- Try purchasing cheaper cuts of meat and marinating, or slow cooking
- Skip the cut, pre-washed, sliced, pretty packaged produce and opt for the real deal
- Use Ibotta to save money while you shop
- Cook your meals at home, get the family involved
You can save money while eating healthy.
Like I said before prices can vary, style of meals can vary, dietary needs can vary. Do what works for your family, your needs.
If skipping out on the pasta sides and adding in quinoa is financially viable for you and it helps with your overall healthy eating goals. Than do it.
In our house, universally getting the boys to eat more vegetables and less meat is the goal. Yes, I know I may be drawing at straws but a Mom can hope right.
Simple changes, can mean positive health and positive money saving outcomes.
Other posts you may like:
- Frugal Ways To Stretch Your Grocery Budget
- Secret Must Haves Of A Frugal Home
- 75 Items You Can Freeze To Save Money
- 21 Things We Stopped Buying To Save Money
Have an amazing day,
Saving & Simplicity