*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
Don’t throw out that celery or lettuce base. Save your potato bits and greens. With produce prices on the rise you may want to invest in regrowing your fruits and vegetables from your kitchen scraps.
- Lettuce can be regrown by placing the base in a shallow jar with water. Once new growth starts plant in soil.
- Celery can be regrown by placing the bulb base in a jar with water. Once new growth starts plant in garden.
- Avocado can be regrown into a plant by placing pit in partial water. After a few months roots will form and pit can be planted in garden or planter.
- Potatoes can be grown by saving an old section of potato with an eye on it. Plant in a small amount of soil in a potato bag (see garden store).
- Pineapple can be regrown by placing the top in shallow water. Once roots form plant in indoor planter. If you live in a cooler climate you may want to grow your pineapple indoors.
- Garlic can be regrown by placing clove in soil and watering. Ensure clove has a root section when being planted.
- Onion can be regrown by placing cut off root section in soil and watering. For green onions place bulb ends in a jar of water and watch for growth. Once growth has occurred plant in soil.
- Pumpkins can be regrown by saving the seeds from your jack o’lantern and replanting them in the spring.
- Cilantro can be regrown by placing the root stems in a jar of water and replanting in soil once growth starts.
- Beans can be sprouted by placing beans in jar with a small amount of water overnight. Sprouted beans can be enjoyed on salads.
- Root vegetables such as carrots and turnips can be regrown using the cut off tops. Place tops in shallow water till roots form and then transfer to soil.
- Tomatoes can be regrown by saving the seeds and planting in soil in the spring.
- Peaches, apricots and plums can be regrown by saving the pit and replanting in soil in the spring watering well to ensure growth.
- Ginger can be regrown by placing a rooted section of ginger in soil and watering well.
- Tree nuts such as hazelnuts and almonds can be regrown by drying raw nuts and planting in well watered soil. Do not use salted or dry roasted nuts, use raw nuts only.
You can regrow any of these 15 foods from your kitchen scraps all you need is a few jars, some soil, sunlight and time. Planting and growing your own produce can save you money and promote healthy eating.