*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
What do you do with your orange peel and lemon rind?
After you have enjoyed the juicy goodness of citrus what do you do with the leftover peel? Do you toss it, or compost it?
Did you even know you can put that citrus peel to use?
Yes, you can and the uses are amazing and beneficial. You can deodorize your home with citrus peel.
Add it to your next DIY facial. Citrus peel makes a great addition to baking and preserves.
So next time before you toss that rind dry it out and save it for later.
21 Uses For Your Discard Citrus Peel:
- Use to flavor water.
- Make candied citrus peel.
- Add citrus peel, cinnamon sticks, water & whole cloves. Simmer to deodorize your home.
- Put peel in garbage disposal to clean and deodorize.
- Add citrus peel to vinegar. Allow to soak for two weeks. Use as an all purpose cleaning solution.
- Spread peel around yard perimeter to deter skunks.
- Dehydrate citrus peel for use in potpourri.
- Air dry citrus peel, grind and use in spice mixes.
- Boil peel for 10 minutes, cool, strain and use liquid as natural mosquito, flea and tick spray for animals.
- Dry peel for use in soaps.
- Zest the peel and freeze it for use in recipes.
- Slice and grate the peel for use in soups and stews.
- Infuse olive oil with citrus peel.
- Dry your citrus peel and use it in tea.
- Use dried ground citrus peel in do it yourself facials.
- Add your citrus peek to the compost.
- Dry peel and use in Asian cooking and medicine.
- Make citrus extract by soaking thin slices of peel in vodka for 6-8 weeks.
- Dry rind and use in holiday baking.
- Add rind to vinegar for use in dressings.
- Dry, grate, zest and add citrus peel to homemade laundry soap and cleaning solutions.
You have no more excuses for tossing your orange peels anymore.
Whether you are saving them to deodorize your home or to add them to baking, citrus rind has multiple uses in your home.
If you aren’t going to use them right away, no worries. Allow the rind to dry on the kitchen counter or add them to a freezer bag and store in the freezer till you are ready to use.
Other related posts:
Have an amazing day,
Saving & Simplicity