*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
I am sure you can come up with a few crazy ways your parents or your grandparents or even you save money.
We all do it. We all look for that little way to save here and there. Have you seen the cost of goods lately. I don’t blame anyone for looking for ways to save.
But some of us take saving money to a whole new level.
I have heard about people doing crazy things to save money but some of these take the cake literally. Some of these I will try, others I am going to take a pass. Read through the list. What would you do? What would you not do?
23 Crazy Ways People Save Money:
- Saving all your coins in jars with intention. Spend, Save, Give jars is what they are called in our house.
- Bring containers from home to restaurants and family gatherings to bring home the leftovers.
- Washing out single use bags for reuse.
- Not turning on the air conditioning in the summer or heat in the winter.
- Calling your cable or telephone providers monthly and asking for lower rates
- Living off the grid.
- Using DIY bath and body or DIY cleaners instead of mainstream products.
- Ordering larger portions in a restaurant and splitting them between two people.
- Family paper, or opting to go without toilet paper.
- Buying food from the discount bin or over the best before date.
- Shopping at more than one grocery store to save money.
- Skipping all the disposable items and using reusable products.
- Cutting your own hair.
- No spend months or spend free weekends.
- Collecting bottles and cans to return them for funds.
- Skip washing the clothes, wear it for a few more days.
- Trying all the samples at the grocery store for lunch.
- Bartering until you get the lowest of the low price.
- Buying everything in bulk even the meat.
- Skipping the shower or showering at the recreation center instead of home.
- Going through the garbage or recycle containers and seeing what can be reused.
- Bin diving at the grocery store for unsold good food.
- Collecting all your unused soap bits and melting them down for new soap.
Some of the craziest ways we save money.
I will admit we have done some crazy but not too crazy things to save money. My husband loves to barter or trade goods for goods. When he is trading no actual money is being spent which is great.
When we travel or visit family I will look at every hotel or budget website to get the best deal and the best flights. We have even flown on different days to save money. There is nothing wrong in extending a holiday a day or two if it saves you hundreds right?
I have even brought containers for leftovers. Why? Because I know my son will pick at his food and not eat it right away but will be hungry 5 minutes after the plates are cleaned up. And why waste the food.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to save money and looking for ways to save here and there.
You don’t have be crazy to save money.
We have all heard someone who has done something crazy to save a buck. Learn how to be more frugal and save money with 101 frugal living tips to cut down on your household expenses. You can save money without having to do anything crazy.
Have an amazing day,
Saving & Simplicity
Are you looking to save money? Checkout these money saving resources:
Are you looking to get your finances under control and learn how to budget? You can get our free budgeting printable here. Another great resource for budgeting and learning all the ins and outs of personal finance is The Total Money Makeover. This book changed our personal finances for the better and is a must read.
If you have read my blog before you have heard me talk about MyFreezEasy meal plans and how much I love them. You have also heard me talk about all the time and money meal planning saves me. I use to choose take out or drive thru coffee or dinner at a restaurant after a long hard day. Learning to meal plan effectively helped curb that habit and now we are enjoying yummy homemade meals that our family love.
Is your grocery budget stressing you out? Are you trying to figure out how to feed our family healthy meals while you watch the price of groceries rise? You are not alone.
The Grocery Budget Workshop taught me how to save money at the grocery store. It taught me how to cook efficiently, manage a grocery budget, shop sales and coupon quickly. It also taught me how to save over $700 a month on items our family really didn’t need.
Are you ready to earn money while you shop? Yes, I said earn money while you shop. Have you heard of Ibotta? Earn cash back on everyday purchases. Simple select the items you will be shopping for in your easy handheld app, go shopping, redeem your rebates and earn cash. Simple and easy.