*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
Are you looking for ways to save money on your household expenses?
Look no further. Discover ways to save money on groceries and still eat well. Learn simple and easy frugal tips to help you cut your household costs. Simple things like turning the lights off when you leave a room and washing your laundry in cold water can really make a difference.
25 Frugal Living Tips To help you Save Money On Household Expenses:
- Turn off the lights and unplug electrical items when you aren’t using them
- Hang your clothes to dry
- Only run the dishwasher or laundry machine when it is full
- Cook homemade meals instead of eating out
- Eat the leftovers, don’t waste food
- Drink more water and skip the pop or juice
- Keep up to date on home maintenance
- Create a budget and use a cash envelope system
- Plant a garden and grow your own food
- Meal plan to save money
- Shop with your meal plan and a grocery list
- Shop local, shop the store sales
- Make your own household cleaners
- Learn to knit, sew and do your own household repairs
- Plan a no spend weekend
- Shop the thrift store for clothes and household goods
- Trade supplies and skills with your neighbors
- Take in free community entertainment
- Learn to say NO
- Invest in a good cook book and a slow cooker
- Learn to use what you have, cook with what is in the cupboards
- Use it up, mend it, re-purpose it, recycle it
- Buy energy efficient appliances
- Don’t be brand specific, eat and use what you can afford
- Be prepared for emergencies and rainy days
My best frugal living tip.
I get asked all the time what we do to save the most money. I am a BIG coffee drinker and I used to hit the drive thru daily for an afternoon latte. This was breaking the budget so we invested in a good coffee maker and stainless steel coffee mugs.
I also use cash envelopes. I have small bank envelopes in my wallet separating grocery money, entertainment money and etc. You wouldn’t even know they were there unless I showed them to you. But this way I know how much money I can spend and what my budget is.
With our busy schedules I also find meal planning to be a huge time and money saver. If you would like to learn more about the meal plan we use for recipes like chicken mole, BBQ tacos, sweet and sour pork plus loads of other recipes including Paleo, Keto and gluten free options you can check them out here.
I also bought my husband a great oven lunch box so he could have hot lunches on the road. Which helps with food waste and using up leftovers. He also prefers the hot lunches to sandwiches.
Saving a bunch of money.
When we started budgeting and cutting costs we took a really hard look at where we were spending our money. We stopped buying a bunch of stuff we didn’t really need and saved over $1000 a month. You can learn all the stuff we stopped buying.
Cutting household expense.
When it comes to cutting household expenses and saving money every little bit helps. One of the tips given may save you a few dollars. Several of the tips combined may save you hundreds. Try the tips out and include your own frugal ideas and see how much you can save.
Updated December 17, 2019