*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
Home is where your heart is and where you raise your family. It is also one of the most expensive places to be.
Think about it what were your expenses last month or the month before. Did your income cover everything? Currently we live in an economy where more people are working two or three jobs just to get by.
The cost of goods is on the rise, the cost of housing is a varying roller coaster. And just the other day I read that a bunch of stores were closing meaning that unemployment is part of the current market.
How can we change? How can we get ahead? How do we reduce our household expenses?
You currently have the power to change your economic out come and get ahead in this ever changing financial world. You can learn to live with less. Cut back on a few things, change the way you do other things. Think more frugally.
Think about it would you rather spend $250 on eating out three times this week as a family or saving that money for something special. Frugally that $250 might equate to someone’s grocery budget.
Cutting back and living with less is way easier than one might think. For example I spent last weekend baking muffins, cookies and breads which over a month period will save us about $200 or more. I also opted to clip coupons, shop sales, grocery shop on budget and try new brands on our last grocery shopping trip. I came in $100 under budget which I can put towards savings or our emergency fund.
If you had to think about right now I bet if you grabbed a piece of paper and a pen you could write down 10 things you could cut back on to save money. Below you will find 25 ways to reduce your household budget and save money. Wouldn’t it be nice to have some extra money for a rainy day?
25 Ways To Reduce Your Household Expenses And Save Money:
- Set up a household budget
- Pay with cash, hide the debit cards and credit cards
- Plan a staycation this year and save money
- Meal plan, meal plan, meal plan – Planning your meals will save you so much money
- Grow your own food – you will be surprised how much money you will save if you grow your own food
- Turn the lights off, pull the plug, save on your electrical bill
- Down size your home, save money on your rent or your mortgage
- Stop paying for things you don’t use like apps, magazines, cable channels and more
- Become a one car family
- Don’t buy stuff to impress other people
- Learn to say NO
- Do things you enjoy read, craft, garden – simple cheap activities, life doesn’t need to be expensive
- Partake in FREE activities like community fairs, concerts in the park
- Switch to reusable items like cloth napkins and reusable containers
- Opt to stop buying things you aren’t using to save money
- Cut back on your grocery budget and eat what you have
- Make your own cleaning supplies
- Shop vintage instead of new
- Learn to make minor repairs
- DIY your own painting, decorating, crafting and gifts
- Plan cheap and amazing dates
- Invite your friends over for themed potluck dinners and games night instead of going out
- Bring your coffee and lunch from home
- Be happy with what you have, the grass isn’t always greener on the other side
- Learn ways to make extra money
Trying one of the ideas above will save you a few dollars here or maybe ten dollars there. Trying a few of the ideas above or putting your own frugal ideas into play will save you more. Applying a frugal mindset and learning to be happy with less will save you hundreds if not more in the long run.
Have an amazing day.
Saving & Simplicity