This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. Please see my full disclosure.
Have you noticed that the cost of goods are going up?
As I sit here writing this post I can tell you that our utility bill increased. As did our internet service.
The cost of goods at the grocery store has increased. And you hear it all on the radio how the costs of this and the costs of that are going up. But you don’t hear that the average wage is going up to compensate.
So how is an average family suppose to get by in an economy where the cost of everything is going up?
The simple solution is to cut back, live frugally and learn to lower your household expenses. Below you will find 45 ways to lower your household expenses to help you survive in an ever increasing economy.
But, first I wanted to talk about how to increase your income.
Have you ever thought about adding a side hustle or side job to your current 9-5 or maybe you want to cut the 9-5 and work from home?
Adding a side hustle to my already busy schedule was one of the best things I have done. I am making a great passive income to help support my family and pay for cost increases.
Now to learn 45 easy ways you can lower your household expenses.
45 Ways To Lower Your Household Expenses:
- Take count of where you are spending your money and stop buying what you don’t need
- Have open communication with your spouse regarding money, goals and life
- Contact your bank and ask for cheaper rates
- Cancel your landline phone
- Turn off apps and other services you don’t need
- Become a one car family
- Cut back on your entertainment expenses
- Plan a no spend weekend
- Enjoy a staycation
- Turn off the lights that aren’t being used
- Wash your laundry in cold water & hang to dry
- Fix the leaky faucets
- Find a happy medium on the thermostat
- Shop store flyers and sales
- Use Ibotta to save money while you shop
- Keep emergency cash on hand
- Grow your own food
- Shop local
- Drink more water, less pop and juice
- Learn what you can freeze to save money
- Learn to stockpile
- Purchase cheaper cuts of meat or plan meatless meals
- Brown bag your lunch
- Invest in a good coffee maker and bring your own coffee to work
- Opt to buy generic goods to save money
- Invest in a good meal plan and home cooking
- Do your own household repairs
- Use it, mend it, re-purpose it, recycle it
- Downsize your home if you can
- Make your own cleaning solutions
- Trade your goods and skills with others to save money
- Buy used, vintage and thrift clothing and furnature
- Purchase energy efficient appliances
- Replace light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs
- Maintain all gas and wood burning fireplaces and heaters
- Install low flow toilets and shower heads
- Ensure your homes weatherstripping and structure is maintained
- Start living well on less
- DIY your gifts
- Do your own housework, baking, landscaping and maintenance work
- Learn to sew, crochet and use household tools
- Workout at home and skip the costly gym memberships
- Purchase quality items that will last
- Learn to say “no”
- Invest in a budget and money saving plan
Other money saving posts you may benefit from:
- 7 Ways To Go Green & Save Money
- Secret Must Haves Of A Frugal Home
- 21 Super Frugal Hacks
- Weekly Organizational Printable Pack
Bonus: Download 7 FREE money saving printables and start saving more money today.
Have an amazing day,
Saving & Simplicity