This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. Please see my full disclosure.
Super Frugal Living Tips To Help You Save Money
Learn how to cut your household expenses with 75 super frugal living tips. One tip may save you quarters and dimes in the short run.
Trying three or four of these tips will save you $100’s in the long run. Living more frugally will put more money back in your wallet and savings back in the bank.
What is frugal living?
Frugal living is the living below your means. Not spending all your paycheck before you make it. Saving cash for a rainy day.
Frugal living is about budgeting your income, expenses and your overall money to help meet your needs, pay down your debt and save for later. You can live well on way less than you think you can.
Is being frugal, being cheap?
The definition of cheap is not liking or wanting to spend money. A cheap person may look for the lowest cost item and be content with the savings. A frugal person is going to weigh the costs with the outcome to choose the best option.
A frugal person can be cheap and a cheap person can be frugal. But a frugal person is more content because frugality is a lifestyle.
Examples of being frugal
Making frugal money saving choices is super easy and you can start making more frugal choices today. Opting to bring your lunch or coffee from home is a great money saving choice.
frugal meal planning
Meal planning and preparing your dinners ahead of time is a super example of being frugal. You can checkout the list below for more super frugal money saving tips.
The importance of being frugal
Being frugal helps you save money, pay down debt, support your family on a single income and get more out of what you have.
frugal life hacks
Being frugal also teaches you the importance of budgeting and making every dollar work for you. You don’t have to keep up to live well. Frugality teaches you, you can live well on less and do very well.
Learn from frugal people
Frugality has been around for centuries and it has helped others get by even in the hardest of time. Frugal living will help you even when your budget is super tight.
Being smart with your money is learning from those before you. If someone you know can get by on less, have more and be happy than why not learn from their example.
Discover how others are living well on less:
75 Super Frugal Living Tips To Cut Down On Household Expenses:
1. Turn the heat down and save on electricity
2. Hang your clothes to dry. Use a clothesline in the summer and a drying rack in the winter
3. Become a one car family
4. Ride your bike, walk or use public transport
5. Make your own laundry soap
6. Run your washing machine and dishwasher only when full
7. Turn off lights that aren’t being used
8. Cut the cable
9. Cancel your landline telephone
10. Unplug appliances that aren’t being used
11. Meal plan
12. Eat your leftovers
13. Pack a bag lunch
14. Switch to cloth napkins
15. Ditch your single use paper and plastic items
16. Grow a garden
17. Turn the lawn into a garden and grow your own food, no more mowing the lawn
18. Save your coins in a jar
19. Cook from scratch
20. Do your own repairs
21. Downsize your home if you can
22. Sell stuff you don’t use
23. Don’t buy stuff to impress people
24. Make your own cleaning solutions using vinegar, water and baking soda
25. Use it, mend it, re-purpose it, recycle it
26. Cut up old shirts and use them for cleaning rags
27. Trade your goods and skills with others to save money
28. Workout at home, skip the gym and use free online workout videos or dvd’s
29. Buy used clothing instead of new
30. Purchased used, vintage furniture instead of new furniture
31. Check the sales flyers and coupons before you shop
32. Make a grocery list and budget and stick to it
33. Try Youtube, if something breaks or you need to learn something. Youtube it.
34. Stay home and enjoy what you have
35. Plan a no spend weekend
36. Plan a eat what you have meal plan for the week
37. Opt to buy generic goods to save money
38. Weatherstrip the windows and doors
39. Keep emergency cash handy
40. Be prepared for all seasons
41. Don’t wait till the last minute with anything, repairs, groceries, planning and etc
42. Cut back on entertainment expenses
43. Taking in free kids classes at your local craft stores, hardware stores and library
44. Do your own housework, baking, landscaping and maintenance work
45. Set a budget and stick to it
46. Purchase items that will last
47. Learn to say no
48. Learn to knit, crochet and sew
49. Learn to use household tools
50. Do your own painting and redecorating
51. Buy it in bulk
52. Use reusable bags, pre-purpose your plastic bags
53. Compost your food waste
54. Add compost to your garden
55. Plant fruit trees and berry bushes
56. Shop local
57. Buy energy efficient appliances
58. Install low flow toilets and shower heads
59. Maintain all gas and wood burning fireplaces and heaters
60. Opt for sweaters, slippers and blankets before turning up the heat
61. Replace all your light bulbs with LED bulbs
62. Start living with less
63. If you don’t have a tool or appliance borrow it, or rent it instead of buying it
64. DIY your gifts
65. Invest in a good slow cooker
66. Buy cheaper cuts of meat or opt for meatless meals
67. Drink more water and less pop and juice
68. Plan cheap but amazing dates
69. Use reusable soap dispensers
70. Freeze your leftover vegetables to use in soups and bone broths
71. Invest in a good coffee maker or teapot and bring your own coffee or tea with you
72. Use cash envelopes
73. Have open communication with your spouse regarding money, goals and life
74. Plan potluck dinner parties with friends instead of eating out
75. Learn to cook something new, variety is the spice of life
⭐decrease your household expenses with these items:
The best Frugal money saving tips
Reading through this list I think the biggest money saving tip that has saved us $100’s of dollars is using cash envelopes. Once the money is spent, it is spent; you budget what you have accordingly.
frugal ideas for the home
Next, it would be meal planning and knowing what items we have on hand. I can plan a meal with just about anything, as long as, I know what we have in the freezer and pantry. Keeping the house organized is key to knowing where stuff is and what you have.
cheap coffee to go
I cut our $10 a day coffee habit by investing in thermal to go coffee mugs and a great coffee maker.
Frugal shop And save
Our family loves to try new foods so we have learned to shop the ethnic markets, our local butcher and our local farmers market. We will research new recipes and have family sit down meals at home. Cooking new meals from scratch and having sit down family meal time is important and saves money.
how to live frugally and save money
Living frugally is super easy. Above you will find a list of 75 super frugal money saving tips. Each one of these frugal tips can help you save money and in turn pay down debt.
frugal meal plan
For example tip number 11, meal planning has helped us save a ton of money every month. And meal planning doesn’t have to be super hard.
You could list of five super simple dinner meals for the week, have leftovers one night and plan a breakfast for dinner another night. Or maybe you double up on a dinner selection for a couple of nights.
Budgeting is super important if you want to save money. You can checkout our 21 Days of Saving for some great budgeting tips or our Budgeting & Financial Binder is a great resource. Another great resource for budgeting is Dave Ramsey.
Frugality And paying off debt
Living frugally can help you pay off debt. Being smart with your money, not spending all your paycheck can help you save money.
frugal household tips
When you live frugally you decrease what you spend your money on which in turn frees up more cash to help pay down your debt.
how to not spend money
People who live frugally are aware of how they spend their money and try to not spend money on things they don’t need. Learn about the 21 things we stopped spending money on to save over $1000 a month. $1000 is $1000 it is not pennies. Think of all the stuff you can buy with $1000. Or what debt could you pay off with that money?
stop spending money
How do you not spend money? When you budget both your income and your expenses and make smart frugal money choices you will learn how to not spend money.
smart money choices
Spending money and shopping is all about want’s and need’s. Learning to live more frugally and make smart choices with your money will help you decrease your spending and free up more cash.
Related Frugal Living Posts:
- Secret Must Haves Of A Frugal Home
- 7 Things We Stopped Buying That Saved Us Over $750
- Girls Weekend 50 No Spend Fun Ideas
- How To Save Money When Things Are Tight
Updated October 5, 2020