This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. Please see my full disclosure.
Frugal living is simply living well on less. Spending less money than you make and saving for the future.
what is frugal living?
Making the right choices for your family and not worrying about keeping up with the Joneses. Living below your means so you can afford more. Making smart money decisions so you can save more.
How do YOU start living more frugally?
By making smarter choices with your money. Frugal living isn’t about being cheap and hoarding away your pennies. It’s about choosing the best option for your family.
how to be frugal?
Living frugally is about clipping coupons, shopping sales, saving up to buy things, home cooking, meal planning and so much more. A frugal mom may plant a garden, hang her laundry to dry, shop the local farmers market and discount retailer. A frugal family may plan a no spend fun weekend and invite the neighbors over for a potluck instead of dining out.
examples of frugal living
Below you will find a list of the best frugal living tips that will help you save money. Some of our favorite money saving frugal tips are meal planning, buying generic, shopping thrifty or sale items and home cooking or baking.
frugal household tips
Frugal living is about making do with what you have, choosing the cheaper option and making your money go farther. Frugal living tips will help you save money.
Related frugal household Posts:
- The Must Have Essentials Of A Frugal Home
- 101 Super Frugal Money Saving Tips
- 7 Things We Stopped Doing To Save Money
- 21 Super Frugal Hacks, Stop Living Paycheck To Paycheck
Frugal living is about choices
- Looking for the brand that is on sale instead of your regular brand to save money.
- Choosing to meal plan and cook from scratch instead of eating out every night.
- Making the right choices for your family.
Below you will find 50 of the best frugal living tips. These tips will help you save money, lower your home expenses and provide you with some breathing room in your budget.
frugal family budgeting
Budgeting is one of the best ways to save money. When you know how much money you’re making and how much your expenses are you can work to decrease your household expenses to save more money. Learn exactly how we cut $1000 in household expenses from our budget.
step by step how to set up a budget
When you are setting up your budget the easiest thing to do is compile all your receipts from the last two weeks or month. This way you know when and where you spent your money. It will also help you in determining ways to cut your household expenses.
You will also need to determine your income for the same time period. How much did you make? Make sure to include any side hustle income, support payments or other forms of income.
In a zero budget your income minus your expenses equals zero. In some circumstances a budget will highlight debt that needs to be paid off. You can use our budgeting binder to help you determine your household budget and expenses.
living on a frugal budget
The best way to ensure all your bills are paid, your debt is paid down and you save money is the use of a budget.
Some may say they feel restricted by a budget. Others say a budget opens up all other possibilities. A budget ensures all your bills are paid and you have funds for groceries, rent and entertainment.
Living on a budget also ensures you are saving money.
living on a tight budget
You can live well on a tight budget. In fact if you are running a tight budget you are doing something right. It means you are allotting every dollar and paying down your bills. You aren’t spending crazy amounts on entertainment or shopping. You are living frugally and budgeting to meet your needs.
living on a super tight budget
An extremely tight budget means you have had to make some expense cuts to make things work. You are actively living frugally and thrifty. Making smart choices with your money. You are choosing generic foods at the grocery store. Skipping the take out to meal plan and make home cooked meals. You are passing on Friday night girls night to save money.
living on a single income
You are consciously aware of your finances and working within your tight budget. The frugal tips below may help loosen your tight budget with some money saving tips. Living on an extremely tight budget can be done and done well. How to living on a single income may also help you with money saving ideas.
living well on a single income
Do you want to stay home with your kids or are you struggling with money? Know that you can live well on a single income. Discover tips and tricks for living successfully on one income. You can live well on less, thrive in a tight economy and provide for your family.
50 Of The Best Frugal Living Tips:
1. Set up a budget – start making your money work for you
2. Use cash envelopes – pay only with cash
3. Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses
4. Make the right choices for your family
6. Bulk buy and shop sales
7. DIY your household cleaners
9. Meal plan – cook from scratch
10. Bring your lunch from home
12. Shop vintage and thrifty stores
13. Preserve the harvest of the season
14. Stop eating out – skip the drive thru
16. Learn to stockpile
17. Skip the paper products
18. Drink more water, less juice and pop
19. Grow your own food
21. Invest in money saving appliances
22. Learn to say “No”
23. Use it, mend it, recycle it
24. Cancel your magazine subscriptions
25. Skip the expensive cell phone apps
26. Turn the lights off when you aren’t using them
27. Install a rain barrel water collection system
28. Invest in draft and home moisture protection
29. Check all appliances, fireplaces and hot water tanks for efficiency
30. Become a one car family
31. Cut the cable
32. Ride your bike or take public transport
33. Shop farm to table
34. Downsize your home
35. Plan a staycation
37. Be prepared for all seasons
38. Purchase items that will last
40. Learn to use hand tools
41. Barter and trade services and produce with neighbors
42. Install low flow toilets and shower heads
43. Do your own painting and redecorating
44. Learn to DIY your own repairs
45. Plan cheap dates
46. Enjoy frugal fun
47. Run your washing machine only when full
49. Buy cheaper cuts of meat or opt for meatless meals
50. Start living well with less
frugal life hacks
If you are looking to live more frugally start with the 50 tips above. Determine what expenses you can cut or where you could choose a cheaper more money saving option.
how to live frugally and save money
You can live frugally and save more money by actively incorporating simple frugal tips into your everyday. Start by bringing your lunch or coffee from home everyday and you could start saving $100 a week.
Opt to make your own household cleaners, wash your laundry in cold water and hang your clothes to dry. This will make a difference in your utility costs.
frugal living hacks
Planting a garden, meal planning, cooking vegetarian meals, baking and preserving will all help you save money on food and groceries.
frugal living tips and tricks
This article includes some of the best frugal living tips and tricks with saving you money being the top priority.
Living frugally and making smart money decisions is the best way to put more cash back into your wallet.
save $500 in a month
Start putting more money back into your wallet. Learn just how easy it is to save $500 in a month.
related frugal living posts:
Updated February 17, 2021