Raising a family is fun, exciting, complicated and expensive.
I say all this while we are expecting our second, so I am smiling. Raising a family is full of joy and it has it’s rough spots and learning curves.
But if you take the ride as a whole and I have been at ours for just over ten years it is well worth the experience.
Honestly, raising a family can be expensive add in more than one child and you need to learn to balance and save.
Let’s face it we want to give our child the world, show them all the amazing things that life has to offer but this comes with a price tag. So how do you give your child the best life without going over budget.
I am going to note one thing when I say best life it doesn’t mean all the “stuff” you can pile into a room. It means giving your child a meaningful, healthy, loving home to grow up in and experience all that life has for them.
So how do we raise our children without going over budget?
First off you will go over budget every once in a while. You may purchase too many baby items, or too many toys.
A medical bill may come up or maybe you found out you are having multiples instead of just one child.
There maybe family stuff like job loss or health issues. It happens, you are not alone. Do not take one slip of the budget as a bad thing, you have to roll with what life hands you.
I am a prime example of this my babies are ten and half years apart because sometimes biology and planning isn’t on your side 100% of the time. Life gave us an amazing miracle of a surprise and we are running with it.
Through the ups and downs, joys and lessons of raising a family you can save money, in fact a lot of money if you spend wisely.
21 Smart Ways To Save Money While Raising A Family:
- Set a budget for groceries, activities and clothes
- Get your kids involved in cooking meals and packing lunches
- Keep track and use items you have
- Be organized – you have more toys and art supplies than you think
- Use free resources like the library and online classes and activities
- Take part in free crafting events
- Communicate with your children about money and what you can afford
- Shop the thrift store for clothing, books, accessories and crafts
- Have a clothing swap with friends
- Learn to say “no”
- Learn what is financially sustainable for your family
- Stop trying to keep up with the neighbors
- Shop the dollar store for activities, toys and other items
- Limit to one paid activity per child and make sure it works with your budget and time
- Network with other parents regarding supplies, rides and childcare
- Set up an allowance system
- Set goals for your money
- Limit the gifts to needed items and maybe one wanted item
- Teach your children to save, donate and spend their money wisely
- Plan a staycation instead of a shiny vacation with airfare and hotels
- Turn off the devices, get outside and play
Saving big money while raising kids.
Coming from a large extended family some of the best ways I have learned to save money while raising a family are as follows. Hand me downs and shopping thrift is great.
Learn how to knit, sew and crochet all will come in handy when raising a family. Don’t be afraid to volunteer for sports teams and community events it will save you tons of enrollment fees.
Camping can be some of the best vacations and you don’t even have to leave the backyard. Get the family involved in the cooking, cleaning and budgeting they are all great skills to have.
Purchase a size right for you home, one that works for your family’s needs. There is nothing wrong with sharing a room or sharing toys. Value what you have, enjoy what life sends your way and save for the future.
Have an amazing day,