*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
Running a home can get expensive.
Between your mortgage or rent and the utilities household expenses can get pretty high. Let’s find you some good ways to cut those costs and save some money.
Now when we talk about utilities we are talking about all the stuff that it takes to run your home.
The gas bill, the electrical bill, the phone bill, the cable bill and so on. I am going to include in there the mortgage and or the rent bill because generally these are pretty large home expenses.
Do you know how much you are paying?
Off the top of your head could you list off the average utility expenses to run your home? If you have a second gather up all your utility bills and make a few phone calls.
Find out if the companies you are using offer better, cheaper services. Maybe a promotion came out and you didn’t know about it. Or maybe if you bundle this with that things will be cheaper.
What about comparing the competition? I know no one wants to spend extra time on the phone or in an online chat with the utility company but if it saves you money it is worth the call.
For example we re-bundled our cellular telephones to a different plan and saved over $100 a month. Do your research and it will pay off.
21 Ways To Save Money On Household Utilities:
- Make a telephone call and ask for a better deal
- Call the bank and ask for a better rate
- Shop around – compare the competition
- Do your own household cleaning and maintenance
- Learn how to use basic household tools for repairs
- Swap up your light bulbs to LED’s
- Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth
- Take shorter showers and wash clothes in cold water
- Air dry or line dry your clothing
- Find a good balance in the thermostat
- Open your windows and let the fresh air in
- Note the due date of bills so you are not paying late fees
- Switch to low flow shower heads
- Cut the cable and stream shows online
- Cancel the landline and bundle your cellular telephones
- Power down and enjoy some outside time
- Turn the lights off if you aren’t using them
- Unplug all the extra stuff you aren’t using
- Update your appliances if needed
- Consider downsizing
- When in doubt do it yourself
You can cut down on the costs of running your home.
Check around, ask questions. Maybe your utility company has a list of money saving suggestions and options. Don’t just assume you are getting the best deal.
Do your research, cut back and watch the savings roll in.
Have a great day,