This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. Please see my full disclosure.
Do you walk into the laundry room and just want to turn around and close the door. Believe me you aren’t alone. In a house full of busy boys sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all the dirty clothes. Not to mention the folding, sorting and ironing. Discover some super easy laundry hacks that will make your life easier.
Simple, easy to follow tips that make life so much easier and help save your sanity in the process. My favorite hacks are ones that help stop the messes before they start. Like cupcake liners at the base of a drippy popsicle. Or easy ways to clean things like putting all the toys in a mesh garment bag and tossing them in the laundry. For more amazing mom hacks check these out.
laundry room hacks
Creating an efficient laundry room that meets your laundry needs is important. It doesn’t need to be huge it just needs to do the job.
Having the right front load or top load washing machine and dryer is important. This is and individual choice. But the more you like your machine the more you are going to use it.
If you can add a clothes drying rack for delicates and storage for additional towels it would be a bonus.
laundry sorting hacks
Whites with whites. Colors with colors. Towels and bedding separate. It’s real easy just to throw all the laundry in together add laundry soap and press start. But if you want your clothes to last longer and stay bright and white separating your laundry is the right thing to do.
Washing your whites together in one load. Your delicates can be hand washed or set on the right cycle in your machine, but separate from your other clothing articles.
Colors should be all washed together in another load but separate your red articles and wash those together to avoid turning things pink. Darks and jeans should be washed together.
Bedding and towels should be washed in their own wash cycle. Check your washing machine manual to see which settings are best for your machine.
sorting laundry hack
Sorting your laundry is the key to saving time and this laundry sorter can help you do the job. Whether you have numerous rooms, use the laundromat or need multiple laundry hampers the Mesh Popup Laundry hamper is the most popular hamper and perfect for sorting clothes.
laundry soap hacks
There are so many different types of laundry soap on the market. Pick one that does the right job for you at the right price. Laundry pods and laundry detergent eco-sheets are great for easy drop and go, set and forget.
In the name of frugality you can DIY your own laundry soap or watch the store sales and stock up when your laundry soap comes on sale. Or stop being brand specific and try the brand on sale.
diy laundry detergent recipes
Homemade Laundry Detergent – DIY Natural
Laundry Sauce – Budget 101
Liquid Laundry Detergent – One Essential Community
hand washing clothes hacks
Read all your labels and always hand wash your delicates. Place your hand wash articles in a salad spinner with a small amount of baby wash and water. Spin a few times. Rinse and hang to dry.
washing machine hacks
Read your manual and learn the options your machine has. Most machines have high efficiency wash cycles and features that will help save you time and money.
Wash 99% of your clothes in cold tap water to save energy and money. Below you will find 35+ laundry hacks that will save you time and money.
Read your manual and learn the options your machine has. Most machines have high efficiency dry cycles and features that will help save you time and money.
Clean your lint trap to prevent build up, bacteria growth and fires. Learn some great time and money saving laundry hacks below.
secret must haves of a frugal laundry room
These are items that are proven to help save your sanity. Save you both time and money. Plus make doing the laundry easier.
- Lint Bin
- Laundry Room Sorting Cart
- Air Purifier & Sanitizer
- Metal Wall Mount Ironing Board Holder With Storage Basket
- Retractable Clothes Racks
- Tide Cup Laundry Detergent & Softener Gadget
- Wool Dryer Balls
- True Earth Laundry Strips
- Floating Shelves
- Broom Holder With Hooks
When using a laundromat to do your laundry. Bring your own soap and dryer sheets. Choose the right sized machine for the job. Stay with your clothes so they don’t go missing between cycles. Or choose the drop off laundry service with the laundromat staff.
folding laundry hacks
Every article of clothing should be hung up or folded and put away. Invest in a clothes folding board to help you fold clothes quickly and efficiently.
35 Amazing laundry hacks that will save you time and money
- Wash your laundry in cold water.
- Keep track of items that shouldn’t go in the dryer.
- Sort your colors.
- Hang your clothes to dry.
- Use dryer balls instead of chemical dryer sheets for freshness and static control
- DIY spot remover. Dab a small amount of baking soda and a few drops of vinegar on the stain before washing.
- Wash your delicates in a mesh laundry bag.
- Use a Fels-Naptha laundry bar as a stain remover – works amazing.
- Use Shout Color Catchers in the laundry to keep clothing dye from transferring.
- Always carry a Tide To Go Pen with you.
- Purchase a laundry sorter to help save you time and prevent laundry color disasters.
- Keep a “mini” laundry basket in the kitchen or on each floor to keep the dirty laundry tidy and in one place.
- Install a towel bar in your laundry room for additional drying and hanging space.
- Toss a clean dry towel into the dryer with your wet clothes to speed up the dry time.
- Iron with ice cubes. Toss a few ice cubes into the dryer with your wrinkly clothes set on the warmest setting for a few minutes to steam out the wrinkles.
- Toss your lint into the compost. Or use to make camp fire starters.
- Keep your socks paired in a mesh bag.
- Was your baby socks, mittens and small garments in a mesh laundry bag to keep them all together.
- Throw your hand wash articles into a salad spinner with a small amount of laundry soap, water and give it a spin. Rinse and hang dry.
- Invest in re-usable lint rollers.
- Pretreat sweat stains with a small dab of baby shampoo before washing.
- Add vinegar or baking soda to the wash cycle to help brighten your whites.
- Tight on time. Use your hair flat iron to press out a few clothes wrinkles.
- Store detergent in soap dispensers for easy access and less mess.
- Keep baskets in the laundry room for easy storage and sorting.
- Add folding hanger rods above your washing units for extra storage
- Teach your kids how to do the laundry.
- Wash your most soiled clothes together to prevent stain transfer. (work clothes, yard maintenance clothing and etc.)
- DIY your own laundry soap.
- Do your dry cleaning at home.
- Learn simple folding hacks with a clothes folding board.
- Purchase clothes that don’t require ironing.
- Add a pool noodle to your drying bar to prevent creases.
- When drying sneakers place your laces in the dryer door and “hang” them to dry on the dryer door instead of bouncing around during the cycle.
- The most expensive laundry soap will not do a better wash job. Purchase laundry soap right for your machine and the job. Preferably cold cycle high efficiency laundry soap.
related life hacks: