This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. Please see my full disclosure.
make your home smell amazing
Sometimes no matter how many times we clean, scrub or take out the garbage there is still lingering odors we just can’t get rid of. Discover 21 ways to make your home smell good including simple and easy ways to DIY on a budget.
how to make home smell good
Making your home smell amazing could just boil down to a good spring cleaning and scrubbing of all things grimy. Or if your like most families with active sports minded busy children, a family pet or two plus a busy schedule you may need some extra help in making your home smell good.
We have two very active boys, a dog, a busy household and we spend a lot of time both indoors and outdoors in the garden and playing. Sometimes even after a heavy deep clean there are lingering odors in the kitchen, bathroom and the boys rooms. The mudroom well… when you gather up shoes, jackets, boots and sports equipment in one place, toss in gardening gloves you get a smell all it’s own.
I can proudly say that we have successful used the tips and tricks below to make our house smell amazing even on the busiest of days.
how to make your room smell good
Each individual room in your home can produce it’s own odor. For example lingering garlic or onion smell coming from the kitchen. Dirty laundry can cause the kids rooms and the laundry room to smell a bit off.
Each one is an easy fix if you can pin point the smell and eliminate it. Also adding a room diffuser or an essential oil spray bottle to mist the area.
This is our diffuser of choice it will make approximately 1000 sq. ft. smell amazing all day long and has numerous time settings. The Prairie Homestead has a great list of homemade air freshener recipes you can DIY to make your rooms smell great.
how to make your home smell good naturally
DIY Stovetop Room Scent Recipes – Hip2Save
DIY Gel Air Freshener – A Life Adjacent
Fabric Refresher – Far From Normal
Pine & Lemon Natural Cleaner – Simply Natural Sara
cheap way to make your home smell good
To rid your house of lingering bad smells here are a few cheap and easy things you can do:
- Take out the compost and garbage daily
- Clean your garbage disposal by sending one lemon rind and a handful of ice cubes through the on cycle
- Clean your house weekly using natural cleaners
- Wash your clothes and linens regularly
- Add a few lavender sachets to the linen drawers and broom closet
how to make your home smell good for a real estate showing
Selling a house can be stressful. Put your home buyers at ease and promote a possible sale by:
- Ensuring the house and all rooms are thoroughly clean
- Ask the seller to take all pets with them and put animal beds and toys in the garage or storage
- Bake a tray of chocolate chip cookies before the sale and leave them on the counter
- Add orange essential oil to a reed diffuser in the bathrooms or mudroom
- Place an essential oil diffuser in the family room with a mild scent like vanilla or lavender
how to make a large room smell good
Generally the largest rooms in a home are the kitchen, family room and the master bedroom.
- Simmer pots are a great way to make your kitchen smell amazing. Learn how to here.
- Create coffee bean votives to place in the family room to make your space smell like your favorite coffee shop. What’s Mary Doing has a great tutorial.
- DIY and create your own potpourri with the uplifting smell of citrus. Turnip In The Oven created Homemade Dried Citrus Wheels.
how to freshen air in house
- Add a room diffuser
- Put scented dryer sheets over your air vents
- Light a scented candle like this one
- DIY your own reed diffuser to add a light scent to any room and freshen the air
how to get an amazing smelling home on a budget
Create a Eucalyptus Wall Hanging – The Effortless Chic
Homemade Lavender Carpet Deodorizer – Life-N Reflection
DIY Fragrant Wax Melts – Hello Glow
Homemade Citrus Bowl Herbal Diffusers – Life-N Reflection
common household smells
Common household odors include dirty laundry, garbage, sweaty gym equipment, pet accessories, shoes, carpeting and the little bits of grit and grime that get left behind.
diy household deodorizer
Homemade Lavender Linen Spray – Freebie Finding Mom
DIY Essential Oils Air Freshener – A Life Adjacent
Lemon Lavender Carpet Powder – Modern Homestead Mama
DIY Fabric Deodorizer – Good Life Eats
Trash Can Tabs – A Retro Housewife Goes Green
best way to deodorize house
The best way to deodorize your home is to keep it clean. Dump your garbage daily. Stay on top of the dirty laundry. Add an essential oils diffuser to every floor or area of the home like this one. Invest in natural based cleaners. And work to eliminate odors quickly as soon as they are noticed.
how to keep your home smelling good all the time
No matter how hard or how often you deep clean your home there will always be some form of odor. Simply cooking with onions or garlic can add a smell to a home.
Keeping a regular cleaning schedule. Staying on top of messes. Using natural cleaners and some of the amazing suggested DIY deodorizers plus essential oils will help you keep your home smelling great all the time.
best products to make house smell good
related diy posts:
- 50 Life Changing Mom Hacks That Are Pure Genius
- 25 Rustic Farmhouse DIY Projects
- Cricut Projects For Beginners
- 7 Amazing Crochet Patterns For Beginners